Re: [GNU-linux-libre] yes, this is great freedom problem

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] yes, this is great freedom problem
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 21:38:33 -0400

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 00:32:44 +0200 Denis wrote:
> Personally I think that user should be able to trust FSDG compliant
> distributions.
>
> In my opinion, the distribution shall not be responsible of what is
> available on the Web and shall not force its users to have some filters
> imposed on them.
>
> Last time I checked the FSDG guidelines, as I understand it,
> blocking privacy violating Web or Internet services was not mandatory,
> and free software applications for Facebook was not against such
> guidelines.

that final paragraph is concurring exactly with my post - the only reason i
sent it was to say that, in addition to that common presumption, RMS has
recently confirmed that presumption explicitly

the additional concern i added though, it seems you mis-understood - it was not
merely about what is "available on the Web" to be run or avoided at the
discretion of the user - the issue was regarding the case where the one and
only functionality of a free client was to run arbitrary scripts sent to it
willy-nilly from the server to be executed blindly on the client - such a
program would be necessarily running non-free software locally on the user's
machine and would be utterly useless if that behaviour was removed; unless
perhaps someone, someday in the future, reverse engineers the proprietary
server to write their own compatible server that only triggers fully licensed
and published behaviours on the client; which would then, on that future day,
but not before, give that client it's first use-case that does not entail
running non-free scripts

i can not name any such clients off-hand, but i raise this issue because i was
told that this is how the telegram client works

how about if your distro packages this little beauty for it's users:

  curl http://proprietary-service.com/random-unpublished.cgi | sudo bash

ok? - let's say it is GPL-licensed; so no FSDG conflict here right? - and let's
say some people really enjoy this program - can't live without it - so the
distro packages it and claims "it would be a dis-service to our users to remove
this valuable program" - what does this do for your trust in your distro?