Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Proposal to revise FSDG to exclude SaaSS-only soft

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Proposal to revise FSDG to exclude SaaSS-only software clients
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 08:33:08 +0300

* Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> [2021-04-13 07:52]:

>   > Yes, and I don't think you have defined well what you mean there with
>   > "communication". Almost all software does this or other communication,
>   > and all server software also does computations, definition is still
>   > vague there.
>
> I think it is defined well enough for practical purposes.  The purpose
> of the Telegram server is to enable each user to communicate with
> other users.

That is however, not the only purpose and we discuss it from viewpoint
of decision making to include packages in FSF endorsed
distribution.

Real purpose of Telegram company is to profit, which is alright, but
they profit in unethical manner by exploiting the loophole to provide
free software client (A) GPL licensed that interacts with proprietary
server (B) thus creating vendor lock-in and enabling
centralization. It is not just communicating with each other, but
communicating solely within the centralized network.

Jean