Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:05:54 -0400

In article <40CEBF02.88D7EC42@web.de>,
 Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
> > What about "owners of a particular copy" don't you understand?
>
> This is getting funny.
>
> ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash/readline-4.3.tar.gz
>
> I've downloaded it 10 times. I now have 10
>
> copyN-readline-4.3.tar.gz
>
> How many copies of GNU readline do I own without agreeing to the GPL?

None.  The first sale doctrine refers to a piece of physical media that
has been sold to you, and which contains the copyrighted material.  E.g.
a book, disk, or CD-ROM.  You can then resell that physical object (but
in the case of software, you must also ensure that you've gotten rid of
any other copies you might have made, such as the installation on your
hard drive and backups).

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA