Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:43:34 +0200

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:42:06 +0200
Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> -----
> // Also GPL'ed (derivative work; modifications are non-copyrightable
> // [too little creativity] but still falls under reciprocation
> provision)// stuff2.c
> f(/*...*) {
>   // qsort(/*...*/);   @@... REMOVED ...
>   my_sort(/*...*/); // @@... ADDED (same interface)
> }
>

> -----
> // my_sort.c implementation of my_sort() NOT UNDER THE GPL
>
> If you claim that I have to GPL "my_sort.c" (when I distribute both
> stuff2.c/o and my_sort.c/o as part of some aggregation/compilation)
> then THIS IS MISUSE.

No need to get emotional. Nobody forces you to GPL your code,
and nothing but the GPL allows you to redistribute the code
you obtained. Your desire to distribute a modified version of
someone else's code does not give you the right to do so, nor
does it give you the right to claim that the original author
is "misusing" the copyright statutes.

Without a license of sorts, you do not have the right to
redistribute the modified code, full stop. The fact that you
don't like the conditions imposed by the GPL doesn't make it
abuse. You can still do with your routine as you please.

I'm puzzled by the vehemence of your feelings, even in the case
of a trivial modification as in the example above. No-one forces
you to download the GPLed code and modify it, and nobody forces
you to redistribute it. Where's the problem?

--
Stefaan