Re: Question About GNU General Public License

From: telford
Subject: Re: Question About GNU General Public License
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:34:35 -0000

Rui Miguel Seabra <rms@1407.org> wrote:

>> "a set of statements or instructions=20
>> to be used directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring=20
>> about a certain result."

> "in order to bring about a certain result" -> fullfilment

Potential fullfilment would still suffice.
There is no constraint that the program has to work reliably
(or work at all), if there was such a requirement then all of
Microsoft's rights would be void.

> used directly or indirectly -> executable or library

or part of an executable or part of a library.

> Get it now?

Yup, I get it, none of the above says anything about the definition
of a derivative work. Even if copyright law did have a requirement
for completeness, where does it explain exactly what makes software
complete?

        - Tel