Re: Question About GNU General Public License

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Question About GNU General Public License
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:39:46 +0100

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 02:54 +0000, wrote:
> If zero-overhead transmission is a requirement then how do you propose
> to transmit your software?

Hello? To transmit a disease you loose some bacteria, virus, etc... to
the new infected persons.

To transmit software you loose zero of the software you currently
possess.

> Why do you regard the mass of bacteria in a sneeze to be a significant
> part of the disease as a whole, and yet ignore the time and materials
> required so burn a copy of a CDROM or the electricity consumed by an
> internet web server (and all the hubs, routers, modems, etc) ?

Because transmission method is a different thing from claiming loss from
a copy.

> > So no, it's not the same thing. Bad analogy. While Star Trek alike
> > replicators don't exist, I think you'll have a big problem finding a
> > physical analogy.
>
> Even if Star Trek replicators did exist, they would require some input
> energy to drive them, this is a fundamental law of physics. If you break
> this law then you are doing physics that no one else on earth can do
> which makes you either very smart indeed or just plain wrong.

But that's equivalent to the energy you spend copying software. That's
energy spent to actually do something. You loose zero of the original
when you make a copy, and that's true with software or with start trek
replicators. Don't try to change the point of the message.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?