Re: symlink weirdness

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: symlink weirdness
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:47:55 -0400

In article <db3559c4.0409161102.21316ace@posting.google.com>,
 rdnews@dahlsys.com (Roger Dahl) wrote:

> Not really... If you're in ~/bin/ and you need to go to ~/, 'cd ..'
> will get you there regardless if ~/bin/ is actually a symlink to
> somewhere else in the filesystem.

That depends on the shell and the options you've set.  Some shells track
the name you used to get to a directory, and perform their own
interpretation of ".." using that.  Others (or these shells when this
feature is turned off) just follow the ".." links in the filesystem.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA