Re: GNU su and the wheel group

From: Martin Guy
Subject: Re: GNU su and the wheel group
Date: 5 Oct 2004 08:00:35 -0700

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message
news:<x5oejhk5mr.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>...
> <telford@xenon.triode.net.au> writes:
> > Sam Holden <sholden@flexal.cs.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

Well, you may be able to please everybody by configuring su's
behaviour in /etc/suauth to stop non-wheel users from even *trying* to
become root:

root:ALL EXCEPT GROUP wheel:DENY

(assuming you have a version of su that uses /etc/suauth - GNU su
does;
System V su seems not to)

> >> What about the poor souls who want to su from one user account to
> >> another?
> >
> > How realistic is this?
>
> Very realistic.  It is very common that one user asks another "I am
> having this and that problem, it does not work here" and then the
> other user comes over, uses su in an xterm to get into his own
> account, picks the necessary information, does a copy&paste job or
> whatever else, and logs out again.

In general, su-ing from an insecure account to a secure one is a no-no
since the insecure account can have its own program called "su" in
$HOME/bin which turns character echo off, prints "Password: ", reads
and
mails the password and then says "Sorry."   Of course this may not be
an issue in your specific context.
Su-ing from secure to insecure accounts instead does not have this
problem.