Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:22:24 +0100

> Robert Dodier wrote:
> [...]
>> Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this topic!
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.html
> http://javalobby.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=15903&tstart=0
>
> At some point FSF will end up paying real $$$ in damages for their
> idiotic claims.  I hope.

Damage?  You can't sue somebody for damages for advice for which you
did not pay in the first place.  And the FSF gives information how
they interpret the copyright laws, given their legal advice.  That
tells you for what issues they are prepared to go to court, not what
the court will then decide, of course.

> Too bad that they don't have a German branch (making the same
> claims) that can be shut up just like SCO Germany. Same law, I mean.

The FSF Europe is situated in Germany.