Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:18:31 +0000 (UTC)

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

>  David Kastrup wrote:
>  [...]
> > party in question stop distributing your software in violation of your
> > copyright as long as it is not in compliance with the conditions of
> > the GPL.
>
>  17 USC 109, stupid. It's not a copyright violations to distribute
>  lawfully made copies that I own.

I suppose you're refering to:

    Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 (3), the owner of a
    particular copy or phonorecord lawfully made under this title, or any
    person authorized by such owner, is entitled, without the authority of the
    copyright owner, to sell or otherwise dispose of the possession of that
    copy or phonorecord.

Note singular in "that copy". And then there's:

    Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a), unless authorized by the
    owners of copyright in the sound recording or the owner of copyright in a
    computer program [...] neither the owner of a particular phonorecord nor
    any person in possession of a particular copy of a computer program [...]
    may, for the purposes of direct or indirect commercial advantage, dispose
    of, or authorize the disposal of, the possession of that phonorecord or
    computer program [...].

And then there are exceptions for non-profit organizations (but nothing
for individuals) and for type of software which we usually call firmware.

But then again, that's applicable just in the USA.

--
 .-.   .-.    Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely
(_  \ /  _)   ceremonial.