NYC LOCAL: Thursday 17 February 2005 UNIGROUP: Rob Page, head of ZOPE Co

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Thursday 17 February 2005 UNIGROUP: Rob Page, head of ZOPE Corporation, on ZOPE - An Open Source Web Development Framework
Date: 17 Feb 2005 02:58:54 -0500

  what="official UNIGROUP announcement">

 Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:34:07 -0500 (EST)
 From: Unigroup_of_NY <address@hidden>
 Subject: UNIGROUP 17-FEB-2005 (Thurs): ZOPE - Open Source Web Development
Framework

 Unigroup's February 2005 meeting is THIS Thursday...

 UNIGROUP OF NEW YORK - UNIX USERS GROUP - FEBRUARY 2005 ANNOUNCEMENTS

 1. UNIGROUP'S FEBRUARY 2005 GENERAL MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT

       When:  THURSDAY, February 17th, 2005    (3rd Thursday)

      Where:  Alliance for Downtown NY Conference Facility
              Downtown Center
              104 Washington Street
              South West Corner of Wall Street Area
              Downtown, New York City
              ** Please RSVP (not mandatory) **

       Time:  6:15 PM - 6:25 PM  Registration
              6:25 PM - 6:45 PM  Ask the Wizard, Questions,
                                 Answers and Current Events
              6:45 PM - 7:00 PM  Unigroup Business and Announcements
              7:00 PM - 9:30 PM  Main Presentation

      Topic:  ZOPE - An Open Source Web Development Framework

   Speakers:  Rob Page, CEO and President,
              Zope Corporation  <http://www.zope.com>

    INTRODUCTIONS:
    --------------

    Please keep an eye out for a series of _MONTHLY_ meetings which
    we have confirmed for February, March and April 2005.
    The meeting schedule is posted below (all on the 3rd Thursday).

    We are finally holding our meeting on Web Development and Zope!
    This meeting was supposed to be a followup our meeting on Python
    (March 2003), but it wound up being delayed for various reasons
    and due to various events (including things like the Solaris 10
    launch).  During this time, our friends at Zope Corporation have
    been patient, and they have been waiting for the chance to present
    Zope to Unigroup.  We do appreciate their support!

    I've called Zope a "Web Development Framework", but from what
    I've read, it may be much more than this (see below).  Major
    corporations are using Zope to build web sites and bring content
    to market.  One such example is Computer Associates... see their
    press release about CA and Zope Corp:
      http://www3.ca.com/Press/PressRelease.asp?CID=59297

    Also note that we expect to have CA present to Unigroup, later in
    the year, and they were also invited to participate in this
    week's Zope meeting.

    SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:

    Please continue to check the Unigroup web site and meeting page,
    for any last minute updates concerning this meeting.  If you
    registered for this meeting, please check your email for any
    last minute announcements as the meeting approaches.

    Please try to RSVP as soon as possible.

    Note: RSVP is not mandatory for this location, but it does help
          us to properly plan the meeting (food, drinks, handouts,
          seating, etc.).

    OUTLINE OF THE MAIN PRESENTATION:
    ---------------------------------

    This month's meeting will be a presentation on ZOPE:
    - What is Zope?
    - Who uses the platform?
    - What is possible with the platform?
    - The Zope Community and Activities (e.g., Sprints)
    - Platform Futures

    The Zope Software System:
    -------------------------
    (Extracted from http://www.zope.com/Corporate/CompanyProfile.html)

    Zope is a unique software system: a high-performance application
    server, a web server, and a content management system.  It is a
    complete, self-contained solution, that includes a robust,
    scalable object database, web services architecture, and powerful
    programming capabilities.  It is designed for customization and
    extensibility.  Its components integrate tightly with a wide range
    of leading web server and database systems.  Zope promotes rapid
    creation and deployment of complex applications, totally
    manageable through a web interface.  All of this, and complete
    open source access, are provided without cost.  There are no
    licensing or runtime fees for the software.

    What Is Zope?
    -------------
    (Extracted from http://www.zope.org/WhatIsZope)

    Zope is an open source web application server primarily written in
    the Python programming language.  It features a transactional
    object database which can store not only content and custom data,
    but also dynamic HTML templates, scripts, a search engine, and
    relational database (RDBMS) connections and code.  It features a
    strong through-the-web development model, allowing you to update
    your web site from anywhere in the world. To allow for this, Zope
    also features a tightly integrated security model.  Built around
    the concept of "safe delegation of control",  Zope's security
    architecture also allows you to turn control over parts of a web
    site to other organizations or individuals.  The transactional
    model applies not only to Zope's object database, but to many
    relational database connectors as well, allowing for strong data
    integrity.  This transaction model happens automatically, ensuring
    that all data is successfully stored in connected data sources by
    the time a response is returned to a web browser or other client.

    There are numerous products (plug-in Zope components) available
    for download to extend the basic set of site building tools.
    These products include new content objects; relational database
    and other external data source connectors; advanced content
    management tools; and full applications for e-commerce, content
    and document management, or bug and issue tracking.  Zope includes
    its own HTTP, FTP, WebDAV, and XML-RPC serving capabilities, but
    can also be used with the Apache or other web servers.

    Web Resources:
    --------------

    Zope Corporation
      http://www.zope.com

    Zope Open Source Community
      http://www.zope.com/Services/Community.html

    Zope Community
      http://www.zope.org

    Zope Developer Community
      http://dev.zope.org

    Zope Powered Sites
      http://www.zope.org/Resources/ZopePowered

    Speaker Biography:
    ------------------

    (Extracted from http://www.zope.com/Corporate/Management/Page.html)

    Rob Page, Chief Executive Officer & President, Zope Corporation:

    Rob Page provides leadership and vision, directing corporate
    operations, professional services, product development and sales.
    He is involved in all aspects of company strategy, client services
    and quality assurance.  Prior to co-founding Zope Corporation in
    1995, he co-founded Connecting Minds, a consultancy firm.  He also
    served for nine years in the Marine Corps and Marine Corps Reserve
    as a data systems officer.  Rob earned his B.S. in Aerospace
    Engineering from the University of Florida.

    Company Biography:
    ------------------

    (Extracted from http://www.zope.com/Corporate/CompanyProfile.html)

    Zope Corporation uses Zope Software to create high-end custom
    solutions with unparalleled time to market.  The company
    generates revenue by offering Zope-based products, content
    management solutions through consulting services, support and
    training.  Building on the open source model, customers are freed
    of vendor dependence because they have the source code of their
    product / custom solution.

    Giveaways:
    ----------

    O'Reilly has been kind enough to provide us with some of their
    books, which we will continue to raffle off as giveaways at our
    meetings.

    Addison-Wesley Professional/Prentice Hall PTR has been kind
    enough to provide us with some of their books, which we will
    continue to raffle off as giveaways at our meetings.

    Unigroup would like to thank both companies for the support
    provided by their User Group programs.

    Note: The chances tend to be about 1 in 5, that any attendee of
    our meeting will walk away with a fairly valuable giveaway
    (ie. most books are valued between $30 and $60)!

    Fee Schedule:
        Yearly Membership (includes all meetings):      $ 50.00
        Non-Member Single Meeting:                      $ 20.00
        Student Yearly Membership:                      $ 20.00
        Non-Member Student Single Meeting (with ID):    $  5.00
        Payment Methods: Cash, Check, American Express.

    Complimentary Food and Refreshments will be served.  This includes
    sandwiches such as Turkey, Chicken, Tuna and Grilled Vegetables,
    as well as Assorted Salads (Cole Slaw, Potato, Tossed, Caesar,
    Pasta), Cookies/Brownies, Bottled Water and Assorted Beverages.

    Directions:

      Alliance for Downtown NY Conference Facility
      Downtown Center
      104 Washington Street
      Wall Street Area
      Downtown, New York City

    This building is located on the West side of the street, the
    second building north of Rector Street.  Cross Streets:
    Between Rector (South) and Carlisle (North) Streets.
    Enter the lobby, and tell the guard at the desk that you are
    heading for Unigroup.  You will be directed to the meeting room.

    Our meeting location is in the Lower West Corner of Downtown,
    North of the Battery Tunnel, South of the Downtown Hotel,
    East of West Street, and West of Greenwich Street.  Walking West
    on Rector Street from Broadway, you pass Church, Greenwich then
    Washington Streets.

    There are multiple blocks of parking lots right there, between
    Washington and Greenwich Streets, starting at the Battery Tunnel
    and extending North for a number of blocks.

    Nearest mass transit stations, in order, are the '1/9' (Rector
    Street), 'R/W' (Rector Street) and the '4/5' (Wall Street).

    -----

    Please mark this meeting on your calendar and join us!
    Please tell your friends about Unigroup!

    -----------------
 2. UPCOMING MEETINGS
    -----------------

    We have a series of meetings in the works:

    - 17-FEB-2005 : Zope / Web Page Development
                    Rob Page / Zope Corporation

    - 17-MAR-2005 : Solaris 10 Part 2
                    Field Trip to Sun Microsystems

    - 21-APR-2005 : AFS and OpenAFS
                    Jeff Altman / Secure Endpoints

    - IPsec
    - Samba
    - Field Trip to HP - Invited
    - Field Trip to CA - Invited
    - Unix 35th Birthday Celebration
    - DNS
    - Unix Clusters and Clustered Databases
    - Linux Clustering Part 3: Beowulf version 2
    - Building a Firewall using FreeBSD and Linux
    - High Performance Internet Servers / Web Acceleration
    - Unix Office Tools: Word Processors, Spreadsheets, Accounting Packages.
    - PKI
    - GNU Development Environments
    - iSCSI, Serial ATA, and other new peripheral technologies

    Please let us know about any other meeting topics that you may be
    interested in.  Potential speakers on Unix related technology topics
    should contact the Unigroup board at address@hidden

 I hope to see you all at our next meeting!

 -Rob Weiner
  Unigroup Executive Director
  address@hidden
  http://www.unigroup.org