NYC LOCAL: Monday 21 February 2005 NYLUG: Peter Bowen of Novell on Novel

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Monday 21 February 2005 NYLUG: Peter Bowen of Novell on Novell's GNU/Linux Desktop
Date: 19 Feb 2005 05:32:25 -0500

  what="official NYLUG announcement">

 From: John Bacall <address@hidden>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <address@hidden>
 Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:45:01 -0500 (EST)

 February 21st, 2005
 Monday
 6:30PM-8:00PM
 IBM Headquarters Building
 590 Madison Avenue at 57th Street
 12th Floor, home to the IBM Linux Center of Competency

 ** RSVP Instructions **
     NEW POLICY: You must R.S.V.P. for *EVERY* meeting.
     Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
     Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge and room number.

                              Peter Bowen (Novell)
                                      -on-
                              Novell Desktop Linux

    Due to scheduling, abysmally annoying venue problems this month's
    meeting will be on Monday, 21 February. Please mark your calendars, and
    reprogram your regular mental patterns for this glitch. If you can help
    with a modern (projector, connectivity), large, regular space we would
    like to hear from you. Also, in the January meeting Oreilly Media
    (ora.com) kindly made dozens of new XML, Java books available to you. We
    are grateful for their generosity, their cheerfulness and the
    superlative quality of their texts. Particular thanks to Marsee.

    Peter Bowen from Novell, Inc. will present on the Novell Linux Desktop,
    as well as broach the direction in which Novell is headed with Linux,
    and open source technologies, offerings and future plans.

    Novell is a fascinating corporation, its new direction into free
    software, open source technologies once again hark to the vibrant
    impulses that made Novell a stand out business in its founding days.
    Novell made the networking operating system NetWare a business
    neccessity. It aquired the patent, copyright and service mark rights to
    Unix (the progenitor *nix) via the AT&T corporation, and is intricated
    in the legal fray, and unsubstantiated contra Linux lawsuits against the
    likes of I.B.M., the Red Hat corporation. Novell is on the side of
    right. This side.

    The Novell Linux Desktop fills a growing void in the business desktop,
    graphical user interface world. The retrenchment of Red Hat into the
    server side of things (no trivial matter) leaves a gap for a quality,
    supported and internationalized offering. The yearly mantra, this is the
    year of the Linux desktop, seems to be within real reach in the coming
    future thanks to an offering like Novell's. Onerous licensing, per seat,
    or coercive fees; a greatly matured product; and an enlightened business
    backer all confluence to make a strong prospect for vibrant choice in
    the business desktop segment.

    Peter will also discuss the various Novell open source contributions it
    has made. Peter's presentation will be demo heavy so you will be
    satisfied.

   For More Information Visit:

      * Novell Linux Desktop in the news

http://news.google.com/news?q=%22novell+linux+desktop%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wn
         or http://tighturl.com/w
      * Novell Linux Desktop on the Web

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22novell%20linux%20desktop%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
         or http://tighturl.com/y
      * Novell, Inc. Website
         http://www.novell.com/linux/index.php?sourceidint=homepage_linuxprodsol
         or http://tighturl.com/z

   About Peter Bowen :

    ``I came to Novell as a result of the Ximian acquisition. I am a senior
    engineer on our Linux Impact Team, which focuses on our core Linux
    products. Prior to Novell I worked on high performance cluster
    computing, media serving, and in politics. When I'm not working (which
    is not nearly often enough) I enjoy bicycling and hiking, and getting
    addicted to certain MMORPGS. I live near MIT and Central Square in
    Cambridge, Massachusetts.'' --Peter Bowen

 Swag (Give Away) - During the meeting... unusally terrific swag of
    non-predetermined origin will be given out to all attendees at the
    regular meeting for free as usual.

 Stammtisch
     After the meeting ... Join us around 8:30pm or so at TGI Friday's,
     located at 677 Lexington Avenue and 56th Street, second floor.
     Northeast corner.

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.

 Monthly Reminder!
     Please read the NYLUG-Talk Posting Guidelines at:
     http://www.nylug.org/mlistguide/