Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:57:47 +0100

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:39:13 +0000
Rui Miguel Seabra <rms@1407.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 20:13 +0500, Wahaj wrote:
> > I think following are the different ways one can use a GPLed code in a
> > properietary code:
> >
> > 1) We can create an exe of the GPLed API and call it from a
> > properietary application. The exe gets the parameters performs its
> > tasks and the calling application can get the output
>
> Yes, this is normal, and it's just one app calling another.
>
> > 2) Dynamically link the GPLed library where we provide the necessary
> > dlls of the GPLed library and don't bundle it inside our code. We
> > simply use it. Any other application on the machine can also use it.
>
> And how, pray tell, do you use a library without including it? Over and
> over many try to create such confusions and deliberate circular
> reasonings, but they fail to answer one simple question:
>
> Does the program require the library to work?

Which isn't a criterion for a derivative work.

While I agree that the OP isn't exactly trying to
honour the spirit of the GPL, claiming that a program
is a derivative work of the programs it depends upon
for its execution (like libraries, OS, shells etc.)
is both incorrect and counter-productive.

I would urge the OP to consider releasing the app under
the GPL, or implement the functions of the GPLed library
it depends on himself. A bit of moral fiber does a
wealth of good.

--
Stefaan