Re: GPL question

From: Nicholas R. Markham
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:04:24 -0500

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:06:29 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> "Nicholas R. Markham" wrote:
>>
>> I have a program that I'd like to utilize the GNU Scientific Library.
>> Since the GSL is distributed under the GPL (not the LGPL), this means I
>> would have to distribute my program under the GPL as well.
>
> Not at all.

A FAQ at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL:

Q: If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean
that any program which uses it has to be under the GPL?

A: Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library.

It certainly appears that I would have to distribute the program under the
GPL, or not distribute it at all.  (Maybe the latter case was what you had
in mind...)