Re: GPL and other licences

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 14:02:48 +0000

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 14:07 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> One can download a copy of GPL'd work (without any "I accept") directly
> to a compilation on a tangible medium. In source code or object code
> form (both forms are wildly available).

Of course, you don't have to agree when your rights are increased upon
copyright law, only when they are decreased. The decree of rights is
unilateral, you can only abide them or not at all.

> Archivers and linkers don't create derivative works.

Yes on the first case, not on the second. In the second case you make a
work that is the direct combination of two works, without either of
which nothing exists.

Either you are allowed to combine thus creating a derived work or not at
all.

> Nothing is merged "in linking software."

Of course not, in the domain of lies, mischiefs and circular
self-references.

Rui