Re: GPL and other licences

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 00:28:05 +0100

   > In this case, it seems that I and the FSF disagree.  Prohibiting
   > staff from distributing free software is the same as a NDA, in my
   > opinion.

   No, it is circumscribing what they can do as agents of the company,
   with the property of the company. One very important issue is
   limiting liability. Whereas there would be few issues with
   distributing copies of unmodified free software, any modifications
   commissioned by the company could engage its liability.

Shake, doesn't make any sense.  It is an NDA, I'm not allowed to give
you a program since I'm under this NDA.  I also fail to see how one
could be liable for anything.

   > And I think it is a weird stance from the FSF to support such
   > practises.

   There happens to be solid realism in most of the FSF stances.

Indeed, I happen to agree on many (if not most) of the stances of the
FSF, but this one is one of the few I personally strongly disagree
with.  It is an excuse for making non-free software.  Infact, it is
the exact situation that RMS was once found in when asking for a
program and someone had signed an agreement not to give people the
code.  All this makes this stance from the FSF really weird...

I'm fine if you simply don't want to give it, but not being allowed to
give it is something completely different.