Re: GPL and other licences

From: Isaac
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 20:45:54 -0600

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:45:01 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:
>    >           A system incorporating a GPL-covered program is an
>    >           extended version of that program. The GPL says that any
>    >           extended version of the program must be released under
>    >           the GPL if it is released at all.
>
>    And it is not released.  That's the key.  Internal use.
>
> If I give you a copy, it is distribution.  The whole concept of
> internal `use' is bogus.  I can claim that the whole world is internal
> for my use, and then simply refuse to release the source to anyone,
> since it is `internal use', if one would follow your thread.

You can claim whatever you want.  Some claims will be listened to
and respected, while others would be considered by a court to be
frivolous.

There is nothing unusual about copyright law distinguishing between
groups of people.  You can show a movie at home and let your wife/SO
watch it with you without the copyright holder have a claim that
you are having an unauthorized public display.  Do you think that
if you showed the movie at a public event you could say that all
the viewers were part of the family of man?

Isaac