Re: GPL and other licences

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:57:36 +0100

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> Oh nonsense.  If the original license permits usage in a context with
>> different conditions, of course anybody can do so.  That is the
>> distinguishing feature of the BSD licenses as opposed to the GPL: the
>> freedom to distribute under unfree conditions.
>
> Stop spouting pure crapola, dak.

Don't worry, I would not want to compete with you.  You just did not
get it.

> The BSD is a contract that contains conditions and covenants for
> copying and preparation of derivative works (the language is a bit
> informal but that doesn't change anything).

Of course.  Those can be met while relicensing under the GPL.

> For example, "source code must retain the above copyright notice,
> this list of conditions and the following disclaimer" is a condition
> for authorized copying of source code and preparation of derivative
> works (when it falls outside the scope of 17 USC 117).

Well, yes.  So what?  You can fulfill that condition when relicensing
under the GPL.

> As for covenants, one is the obligation to "reproduce the above
> copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
> disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with
> the distribution" regarding distribution of copies (including
> derivative works) in binary form made pursuant to the BSD. It
> doesn't allow relicensing under the GPL.

I don't see why you can't meet that condition while relicensing under
the GPL.