Re: GNU licenses

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 09:43:17 +0200

mike4ty4@yahoo.com writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> mike4ty4@yahoo.com writes:

>> > I don't know. To me it seems like a way to slowly strip owners of
>> > their rights to their original works.
>>
>> There is nothing "slow" involved here.  If you use any
>> copyrightable part of GPL licensed software without negotiating a
>> different license, you are bound by the full GPL.  As with any
>> other license.
>>

> As more code becomes GPL then the amount of non-GPL code shrinks,

Code does not shrink.  GPLed code does not take independent code over.
It just has its own growth laws.

> and since the agreement requires one to make all original works
> containing GPL code GPL, it goes up fast. Of course it depends on
> how many people use the GPL code, though.

Not really.  It depends on how many people _extend_ the GPLed code,
and then it also depends on how many of such changes actually get
merged in a common code base.

>> > Your code is your ORIGINAL WORK, and I don't see why I have to
>> > have you make it free to me.
>>
>> You are free to license your _own_ software under any license you
>> want, including giving them into the Public Domain.
>>

> But *why* do you (or whoever came up with this GNU thing or
> whatever) want to tell people to do things with _their_ code if they
> use _your_ (GNU) code?

Because it is fair.  You want to make use of my code, I want to make
use of yours.  We both profit.

> I know I can, and that's why I don't like GNU, because using the GNU
> code "forces" you "automatically" (note the quotes -- if you defy
> the "force", ie.  the terms, you are breaking the law, it's your
> choice to use the code so it's not automatic in the sense you might
> think I'm using) to make your originals that use it GNU. I just
> don't understand why it's made that way!

Because that profits everybody in the same way.