Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' gang: "abandon the current GPLv3 pr

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' gang: "abandon the current GPLv3 process before it becomes too late"
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:51:46 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> But anyway, vi and its ilk (not derivatives) would fit the flowery
>> "only retarded fanatics use that torturous editor" hyperbole of Mr
>> Terekhov equally well: the vi family certainly is at least as
>> idiosyncratic as Emacs.
>
> Nah. Your comrade ams uses Emacs (not vi), to post messages without
> attribution/proper quotations. Just like Mr. GNU President RMS
> himself.

That is not a matter of the editor, but of the mail client.  vi does
not create attributions/quotations at all, for example, since it does
not know about mail.

RMS and ams use RMAIL as a mail client, I (and most others) use Gnus.
RMAIL is not really overly useful when you are trying to keep track of
multiple discussions.

But the quality of the choice does not really relate to whether the
mail client is implemented in Emacs Lisp or C, and whether it is
tightly integrated with the editor or not.

Emacs comes with several mail clients, some better, some primitive.
vi comes with none.

Your point was?