Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 07:39:51 -0500

Michael writes:
> If the bug is with a program, the patch should go to the program's
> developer.  If they are applying the patch to 3rd party programs, then
> it's basically a fork, a new version of an existing program.

When I receive a bug report on one of my packages with a patch that I think
should be applied I forward it upstream but I also apply it to the next
Debian version.  It can take quite a while for upstream to incorporate such
patches.

> If they are relaying the patch back to the developer, then you don't need
> Gentoo to do it, since you should be doing it yourself.

You should file your bug report with your distribution and let them forward
it.  They will know whether the bug is truly in the upstream release or in
something they have added and will be able to provide more information and
testing and consolidate multiple reports of the same bug.

> And if a patch is actually useful to a program, it should be folded into
> the actual program itself.

Yes, but let the distribution forward it.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org