Re: Novell-MS Pact: former Lessig's student Matt can't grok the deal...

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Novell-MS Pact: former Lessig's student Matt can't grok the deal... "it all just doesn't add up"
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:08:27 +0100

He's also former "Novell's director of Linux Business Office" (now he's
at alfresco dot com -- "VP Business Development").

http://asay.blogspot.com/2006/11/microsoft-more-that-they-say-less-rosy.html

-----
Microsoft: The more that they say, the less rosy the patent deal looks

David Kaefer, the director of business development for intellectual
property and licensing at Microsoft, is on the record as saying a rather
curious thing:

    We've been very clear from the outset, and the financial realities
of the deal underscore this, that Novell's patents have value. One need
only go back to the late 90s with Novell's leadership in the directory
space to recognize the benefits of much of the research and development
that they conducted at that time.

I'm sure this is true; at least, I'm sure it's true (in fact, I know so)
that Novell's patent portfolio is significant. Not nearly as extensive
as Microsoft's, but significant in its own right.

But let's assume David is telling the truth. If so, then Microsoft, not
Novell, has the patent quandary, not open source. Or, at least, not
Novell. Novell claims to be using its patent portfolio to protect open
source ("We have stated our commitment to use our own software patents
to protect open source technologies"), but really its policy is more
self-serving. Understandable, but let's call a spade a spade.

Otherwise, if Novell cared about the community more than narrow
self-interst, wouldn't it put those important patents under cover of the
Open Invention Network so that they truly could protect open source?

Again, if Microsoft's patents are only worth $40M or so, and Novell's
are worth $300M, then does anyone have anything to fear about
Microsoft's patent rattling? If their value is comparatively worthless,
why is anyone bothering to take them seriously (this assumes, of course,
that someone is)?

And why, if Novell's patent portfolio is so significant, isn't Novell
using those patents to defend open source as it has promised to do,
rather than just its quarterly revenue target? Surely the company's
potential market would be even bigger if it made the open source pie
bigger, and not merely its current slice of it?

I'm with Mark Webbink on this one: it all just doesn't add up.
-----

Oh, Ah, BTW, apropos Mark Webbink...

http://www.no-lobbyists-as-such.com/florian-mueller-blog/red-hat-mark-webbink/

-----
Evidence for Mark Webbink’s pro-patent directive lobbying on July 5,
2005

In my previous blog article, I mentioned the fact that Red Hat’s deputy
general counsel, Mark Webbink, lobbied in the European Parliament on
July 5, 2005 (the day before the EP’s decisive vote to reject the
software patent bill) to keep the software patent directive alive.

I had not anticipated the kind of Internet debate that this statement
would trigger, including some insulting emails that were sent to me, and
least of all I would have expected Mark Webbink to call into question
the “veracity of [my] statements”, which is what he did in the
discussion below this LWN.net article. He knows exactly what he did.

The word “motivations” also appears in that posting. It’s really simple:
on the occasion of a patent suit having been filed against Red Hat, I
thought it was time to tell the truth. Especially the free and open
source software (FOSS) community should know where certain key players
stand. That will better enable people to take a critical perspective on
such initiatives as the OSDL Patent Commons.

Contrary to what Mark Webbink claims, my related statements are not
“unverifiable”. What he did on July 5, 2005 is a well-documented fact,
and here’s some evidence: