Re: autotools automake autoconf

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: autotools automake autoconf
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:29:34 +0900

"
"Ron Baker,    Pluralitas!" <stoshu@bellsouth.net.po> writes:
>> If you add "file3.c", just make sure it's included in foo_SOURCES:
>>
>>    foo_SOURCES = file1.c file2.c file3.c hdr1.h
>>
>> That will make sure it gets built and linked into foo, and will take
>> care of all dependency generation etc.
>
> I did that and it didn't take.
> I added file3.c to foo_SOURCES but it didn't compile
> file3.c when I ran make.
> But when I added #include "header3.h" in file2.c then
> it compiled file3.c.
>
> Does the order that the
> files are listed make a difference?

No (well maybe it affects the order in which stuff gets compiled or
something).

When you type "make" after changing Makefile.am, is "Makefile" getting
regenerated (via "Makefile.in")?  That _should_ happen (automake inserts
rules to do so).  If not, you can at least type "autoreconf" to manually
regenerate Makefile and make sure its contents are OK (and then figure
out why Makefile isn't getting regenerated).

I'm not really sure what's happening -- this kind of thing normally just
works without much attention (you shouldn't normally ever have to pay
attention to Makefile or Makefile.in, just edit Makefile.am).

-Miles

--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.