NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 21 March 2007 NYLUG Meeting: Ira Hyman on PCLinuxOS

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 21 March 2007 NYLUG Meeting: Ira Hyman on PCLinuxOS
Date: 19 Mar 2007 23:40:25 -0400

  what="official NYLUG announcement">

 From: John Bacall <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:30:01 -0400 (EDT)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] NYLUG Wednesday 21 March General Meeting Presents:
Ira Hyman -on- PCLinuxOS

                     Ira Hyman on PCLinuxOS

 Ira Hyman will appear Wednesday March 21st at the New York Linux
 Users Group and present on PCLinuxOS.

 PCLinuxOS wears inspiration from prior Linux OSes. It has
 borrowings from Debian, SuSE live-cd, Knoppix, Mandriva, nee
 Mandrake, Ubuntu.

 PCLinuxOS is dedicated to the desktop for home, small business
 use.  However, like any good little *nix it does do server duty,
 but its creator wanted in effect a pretty (powerful) OS -his-
 way. And so the creation began.

 Based on Debian (our favorite anarchic underachiever) and its
 packaging system APT, although swathed with a simpler frontend,
 package choice and installation is easy, powerful. Upgrading the
 system when necessary consequently is smooth and non destructive.
 A la Debian.

 PCLinuxOS comes in a live-CD version. Place in drive, kick tires
 about, remove CD, reboot and your system is unchanged.

 The user is equipped with all standard desktop applications. To
 quote Ira: ``PCLinuxOS comes fully equipped with just about
 everything a desktop user would want in an operating system.
 Browse the web, send and receive emails, chat with friends on
 Yahoo, MSN, AOL and IRC. Play games, listen to music, share
 files, rip CDs and watch videos. You can also burn CDs, DVDs,
 import, view and edit pictures. Our office suite allows you to
 write letters, do spreadsheets, drawings and slide presentations.
 Everything you can do with that other OS you can do in PCLinuxOS
 without worrying about virus infections, adware or spyware.''

 PCLinuxOS does multimedia well. Reading the documentation it
 clearly strives to give the user easy, out-of-the-box play that
 funky media file now functionality. If I wanted a powerful
 desktop Linux, to play video, sound, music, incorporation of
 KDE's desktop environment, a focus to strive for excellence in
 its niche, and a history of commitment to all these and more I
 would come to this meeting.

 On Wednesday March 21st 2007, Ira Hyman, Director of
 LinuxLoft.com development team, will present at NYLUG about the
 vision, goals and technical considerations of this "amazing"
 version of Linux. As a Bonus Ira will reveal personal findings on
 a little know method of financing your inner entrepreneur.

 More Info:
 http://pclinuxos.com
 http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/HomePage
 http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php