Re: GPL: Does a conveyor's violation result in rights to users?

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: GPL: Does a conveyor's violation result in rights to users?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:45:31 +0100

Ter, 2007-03-27 às 12:20 +0200, Alexander Terekhov escreveu:
> "Alfred M. Szmidt" wrote:
>
> [snip bullshit]
>
> Yada, yada, yada. As if "first sale" ("copyright exhaustion" in EU
> speak) were nonexistent not only in the GNU Republic but everywhere.

Only if you distribute, or convey, or whatever, in the same sense as a
"book", that is to say, the one copy you have, at which point you loose
it for the person you distributed it to.

If you attempt to mean that:
        * copy MyCopy YourCopy
        * give you YourCopy
        * keep MyCopy

Then you're not talking about first sale but of distributing copies.

If you attempt to mean that:
        * copy MyCopy YourCopy
        * give you YourCopy
        * delete MyCopy

Then you're clear.

If you do this second thing an X amount of times, I predict it will be
about as hard to convince a judge you're not trying to workaround
copyright as it is to throw an apple off planetary orbit by your hands
alone.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?