Re: The GNU Philosophy: How practical is it?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: The GNU Philosophy: How practical is it?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:50:43 +0200

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> >
> > Sex, 2007-04-27 Ã s 17:21 +0200, Alexander Terekhov escreveu:
> > > "Alfred M. Szmidt" wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > Eh?                                                             |
> > > Adobe's latest 10-Q:                                            |
> > > Research and development................ 137,129 >--------------+
> >                                              ^
> > Software Patents count here -----------------+
>
> Same as with Red Hat's R&D numbers, I gather.
>
> "Patents, and the patent system, are becoming increasingly important to
> the business. Deputy general counsel Webbink explains that when Red Hat
> decided to create the position that Avrunin filled, management received
> a lot of resumes from patent prosecutors. In contrast, Avrunin was a
> patent litigator at law firm Finnegan Henderson. "We found that rather
> intriguing," says Webbink. His resume made the decision makers
> question: "Do we want a good patent prosecutor? Or do we want someone
> who can keep us out of trouble?"
>
> It appears that Avrunin wants to be both. "He's been here for 20 years
> already in dog years," says Webbink. Avrunin has been busy, in other
> words. Before he arrived, Red Hat had around 30 patent applications
> pending at the USPTO. "At the end of last quarter, we have nine issued

Such as

7,107,314  Mail system synchronization using multiple message identifiers
7,082,424  Method and apparatus for atomic file look-up
7,024,499  Cache only queue option for cache controller
6,988,142  Method and apparatus for handling communication requests at a server
without context switching
6,950,868  Method of and apparatus for remote monitoring
6,944,793  Method of remote monitoring
6,886,004  Method and apparatus for atomic file look-up
6,754,891  Debugger system using tracepoints for computer software

> patents out of 175 applications,"

Such as

20070089098 PASTE BY EXAMPLE
20070061492 ZERO-COPY NETWORK I/O FOR VIRTUAL HOSTS
20070016867 PRESENTATION MODE/FULL-SCREEN MODE INTERRUPTING ACTION PREVENTION
20070016585 METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR ENABLING USERS SEARCHING FOR COMMON SUBJECT
MATTER ON A COMPUTER NETWORK TO COMMUNICATE WITH ONE ANOTHER
20070015118 TUTORIAL GENERATOR WITH AUTOMATIC CAPTURE OF SCREENSHOTS
20070006301 Strong password entry
20070006147 Using differential information entropy to detect bugs and security
flaws in computer programs
20070005919 Computer system protection based on virtualization
20060248127 Conditional message delivery to holder of locks relating to a
distributed locking manager
20060218487 System, method and medium for component based web user interface
frameworks
20060200438 System and method for retrieving data from a relational database
management system
20060184948 System, method and medium for providing asynchronous input and
output with less system calls to and from an operating system
20060184942 System, method and medium for using and/or providing operating
system information to acquire a hybrid user/operating system lock
20060184653 System and method for creating and managing virtual services
20060168130 Bytecode localization engine and instructions
20060112395 Replacing idle process when doing fast messaging
20060112374 System, method, and medium for efficiently obtaining the addresses
of thread-local variables
20060080385 System, method, and medium for configuring client computers to
operate disconnected from a server computer while using a master instance of
the operating system
20060075059 Method and system for caching directory services
20060075030 Self-tuning statistical method and system for blocking spam
20060053139 Methods, systems, and computer program products for implementing
single-node and cluster snapshots
20060015747 System and method for detecting computer virus
20060005256 Apparatus and method for managing digital rights with arbitration
20050138406 Rights management system
20050071371 Software and data file updating process
20050021637 Electronic mail control system
20040158717 Electronic document active content assurance
20040153483 Mail system synchronization
20040143776 Hot plug interfaces and failure handling
20040143687 Cache only queue option for cache controller

etc.

regards,
alexander.