Re: The death of copyright in software

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: The death of copyright in software
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 13:36:51 +0200

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 20:04:19 -0500
rjack <rjack@com> wrote:

> Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 May 2007 20:19:17 -0500
>
> > But only an idiot without knowledge about programming can argue that
> > because a program performs the same well-defined function as another
> > program (i.e. compiling 'C' code or performing an FTP transfer) its
> > internal structures and algorithms have to be so similar as to be
> > indistinguishable "after applying trivial obfuscation".
>
> Idiot? Hmmmmmm....

Do you claim that there is only one way to write an FTP client (or
server), a 'C' compiler, or any program that performs a well-defined
function?

I would be interested in your argumentation, as it would, mean that
once a program performs a well-defined function it cannot be improved.

Back in the eighties I wrote an interpreter that implemented a
well-defined language. The second release was an order of
magnitude faster because I went from a pure interpreter to an
incremental compiler, but the interpreted language didn't
change one jot.

Would you maintain that both versions were identical "after applying
trivial obfuscation"?

--
Stefaan A Eeckels