Re: Is it OK to use my rewritten GNU program commercially?

From: mike3
Subject: Re: Is it OK to use my rewritten GNU program commercially?
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:22:06 -0700

On Jul 18, 7:16 am, rjack <rjack@com> wrote:
> Inventor wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I have released my sports prediction software under the GNU GPL,
> > folks are using it, and I plan to add the latest features for a
> > 'final' release.  The first version is a klugy hodgepodge of code
> > with only a command line interface, and now that I am learning the
> > beginnings of OOP and CGI, I am rewriting the program from scratch
> > with a web front- end.  The new code will have the same algorithm as
> > the old code, but is completely new in every other way.
>
> > My friend wants to possibly commercialize the new code someday,
> > setting up a web page and charging for either access or software or
> > datafeed.  Now, i'm fairly sure we could charge for datafeed since
> > that is not the program, just the data for the program, but could we
> > charge for access or software of the new program?  I would keep the
> > old program on the web for free in any case.
>
> > Is it OK to commercialize the new rewritten version, or have I given
> > that away for free as well?  Also, is it OK that we would have a free
> >  command line version and a paid web version, or is that just plain
> > wrong to do?  I think it's OK because the new program is totally new,
> >  but i thought I'd ask wiser folks to be sure.
>
> > Thanks in advance, Inventor
>
> ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!
>
> Richard Stallman and Eben Moglen now own your program, your wife and
> kids, the family dog and your primary residence -- tax free. Since you
> have used their universal and omnipotent GPL license, if you even
> converse with your friends, their programs also become GPL licensed
> works. Such is the power of the GPL, only a shaman from the Ug!atia
> tribe of southern Ethiopia can undo its control over you.
>
> rjack

?!
?!!
?!!!

How the heck does using a license to release your program under
magically transfer ownership? You're simply choosing a set of
terms (ie. the GNU GPL) under which to release it and in no way do
those terms stipulate the "ownership" of the intellectual "property"
in
question must go automatically to the FSF!