Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 23:45:35 +0000

On 05/12/2007, mike3 <mike4ty4@yahoo.com> wrote:
> But you seemed to imply the more "technically correct"
> name should be used.

Nope. If you want to call it Ubuntu, fine. If you want to describe the
operating system type or give it a full name you should use the
technically correct version.

> "When we ask people to say "GNU/Linux", we are not dividing people.
> ***We are asking them to give the GNU Project credit for the GNU
> operating system.*** This does not criticize anyone or push anyone
> away. "
> (emphasis mine)

I stand corrected. I actually think this is the wrong approach.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman