Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:34:20 +0100

Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> writes:

> At Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:56:25 -0500 "amicus_curious" <ACDC@sti.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Rjack" <user@example.net> wrote in message
>> bumdnUH8Ov-23ebUnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@giganews.com">news:bumdnUH8Ov-23ebUnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@giganews.com...
>> >
>> > With the advent of the Obama administration, it is generally
>> > expected that the Justice Department and the FTC will become much
>> > more aggressive in antitrust enforcement matters.
>
> I don't think antitrust enforcement is going to 'destroy' Microsoft.

It is not the point.  The problem is that this "enforcement" has far too
much time lag at the current point of time.  The educational value of
measures is simply not there if instead of a slap on the wrist at the
time of someone overstepping the bounds you get a vague threat of having
him shot decades later.

If the regulations are supposed to actually _achieve_ something, its
effects need to much more immediate.  Just jotting down a scalding entry
into a Doomsday book record is not going to change a thing.

If every administration change just changes the proposed penalties but
never actually gets the process finished, the exercise is rather
pointless.