Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy

From: ZnU
Subject: Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:47:47 -0500

In article <EXNel.102870$626.48501@newsfe09.ams2>,
 The Lost Packet <jmthelostpacket@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Rjack wrote:
> >
> >  From the findings of fact in US v. Microsoft (1998)
> >
> > http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm

> > Open-Source Applications Development
> >
> > 51. Since application developers working under an open-source model are
> > not looking to recoup their investment and make a profit by selling
> > copies of their finished products, they are free from the imperative
> > that compels proprietary developers to concentrate their efforts on
> > Windows. In theory, then, open-source developers are at least as likely
> > to develop applications for a non-Microsoft operating system as they are
> > to write Windows-compatible applications. In fact, they may be disposed
> > ideologically to focus their efforts on open-source platforms like
> > Linux. Fortunately for Microsoft, however, there are only so many
> > developers in the world willing to devote their talents to writing,
> > testing, and debugging software pro bono publico. A small corps may be
> > willing to concentrate its efforts on popular applications, such as
> > browsers and office productivity applications, that are of value to most
> > users. It is unlikely, though, that a sufficient number of open-source
> > developers will commit to developing and continually updating the large
> > variety of applications that an operating system would need to attract
> > in order to present a significant number of users with a viable
> > alternative to Windows. In practice, then, the open- source model of
> > applications development may increase the base of applications that run
> > on non- Microsoft PC operating systems, but it cannot dissolve the
> > barrier that prevents such operating systems from challenging Windows.
> >
> > Note the prophetic finding of Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson:
> >
> > "In practice, then, the open- source model of applications development
> > may increase the base of applications that run on non- Microsoft PC
> > operating systems, but it cannot dissolve the barrier that prevents such
> > operating systems from challenging Windows."
> >
> > So what has changed? A gain of maybe 2% (exclude proprietary Apple) in
> > market share of non-MS operating systems in the past ten years?
> >
> > Seems to me that the open source business models are an abject failure
> > compared to proprietary models.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Rjack :)
> >

> if they were an abject failure then /nobody/ would be using them.
>
> I suggest you look at the Linux installed base for such things as:
>
> PDAs
> cellphones
> digital satellite/cable receivers & DVRs
> GPS systems
> mp3 players
> routers
> network attached storage systems
> web servers
> supercomputers
>
> ...and then compare that with proprietery installed base for same.
>
> Get back to us with some real numbers, or I say you are full of shit.

Why is it that in so many COLA discussions, people who are very
obviously discussing the *desktop market* have to constantly remind
Linux advocates of that fact?

--
"What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them
‹ that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer