Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy

From: ZnU
Subject: Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 22:27:55 -0500

In article <4980da74$0$21786$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>,
 "amicus_curious" <ACDC@sti.net> wrote:

> "Hyman Rosen" <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote in message
> > Rjack wrote:
> >> The evidence of record, a voluntary dismissal WITH PREJUDICE
> >> against Verizon is beloved by GPL opponents.
> >
> > That simply means that the plaintiffs decided that in this
> > instance, they did not wish to pursue the claim against Verizon.
> > Without being privy to the negotiations, no one knows why that is.
> > You would prefer that it be the timidity of the SFLC, but that's
> > just your prejudice.
>
> Not so simple at all.  It means that the plaintiff cannot bring the
> same complaint against the defendant on the same charges. Which means
> that Verizon is free to use BusyBox as it feels like without any
> accomodation to the GPL.

Well, No. It means the plaintiff cannot bring the same complaint
against the defendant in response to the same actions, which isn't quite
the same thing and doesn't give Verizon the kind of broad immunity from
the GPL with respect to BusyBox that you describe.

--
"What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them
‹ that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer