Re: Tom Tom and Microsofts Linux patent lock-down ..

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Tom Tom and Microsofts Linux patent lock-down ..
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:21:24 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:
>
>> In gnu.misc.discuss Andrew Halliwell <spike1@ponder.sky.com> wrote:

>>> It'd stop a lot of fishing for out of court settlements if the
>>> accused was no longer terrified of being bankrupted for being found
>>> not guilty. Where's the justice in that? The innocent should face
>>> absolutely no consequences for being willing to defend themselves and
>>> winning.

>> And, let's be honest, the losing party shouldn't have to face
>> bankruptcy either.

> Depends.  I don't like the "don't do any legal risk assessment,
> government has to bail us out anyway" mentality.  People should take
> responsibility for their actions.

I think you've misunderstood me.  I meant that the whole legal palaver
should be streamlined so that the costs a losing bona-fide litigant is
faced with are moderate, not that somebody else should bail the loser
out.  (See: I've learnt how to spell "loser" ;-).

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).