Re: GPL traitor !

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:19:08 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Rjack <user@example.net> wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>>> Why is it a "legitimate" question? Does copyright law change if
>>> organizations are "hostile" to "free" software? If I were really
>>> a Microsoft lawyer it wouldn't change copyright law one iota.

>> If you were known to be a lawyer, people would lend far more
>> credence to what you write about legal matters, and the discussions
>> would procede more smoothly.

> Huh?

> According to a 2004 Gallup poll all of 18% of Americans rated
> lawyers' honesty and ethical standards as "very high" or "high".
> If I were a lawyer, the last thing I would do is admit it.
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/08/health/webmd/main659857.shtml

Ah well, have you heard about British Members' of Parliament expenses?
A Newspaper (the Telegraph, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/) got hold of a
CD with copies of all MPs' expense claims going back several years, and
a lot of them have been basically helping themselves to tax money - things
like claiming mortgage interest expenses after the mortgage has long been
paid off, for clearing out a moat, ....  It's all quite amusing, really -
never mind the lawyers, look at the people who make the laws.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).