Re: GPL traitor !

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:21:19 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote:
> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>> How about Larry, Hyman? (Larry Rosen.

> He's wrong too, regardless of whom he advises. I do not see
> where anyone has taken his advice and has copied GPLed software
> in a way that he claims is permitted but which I claim is not.

> It is manifestly clear from the text of the GPL that it grants
> permission to make a covered work part of a single combined program
> only if that program as a whole is licensed under the GPL; that is
> one of the most fundamental aspects of the GPL. Attempting to read
> other parts of the same license as vitiating this fundamental aspect
> is self-serving on the part of those who dislike this aspect of the
> GPL, but that's all it is, and it is wrong.

> You, as one of those self-serving dislikers of the contagious aspect
> of the GPL, will continue to believe as you do, and you will be wrong.

Hyman, Alex is a troll.  He doesn't really believe his thing about
collective works and aggregation.  He's just baiting you, calling you
"silly" from time to time.  He's been doing this for several years now.
If you ask him for evidence, he'll cite reams and reams of barely
relevant bumf which it'll take you hours to read.  A lot of it will be
vague, itself containing further URLs to more vague stuff.

Remember, knocking the GPL is Alex's hobby.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).