NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 27 January 2010 NYLUG: Edward Capriolo on Hadoop -

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 27 January 2010 NYLUG: Edward Capriolo on Hadoop - Computation Clusters at Scale
Date: 26 Jan 2010 15:44:55 -0500

  what="official NYLUG announcement"
  edits="">

 From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:30:02 -0500 (EST)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] TOMORROW! Meeting Jan 27 @ 6:30PM: Edward Capriolo
on Hadoop - Computation Clusters at Scale

 REMINDER: This meeting is tomorrow, RSVP closes TOMORROW
 Visit http://rsvp.nylug.org to see if RSVP is still open.

 Wednesday, January 27th, 2010
 6:30pm-8:00 PM
 IBM
 590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
 corner of 57th Street

 ** RSVP Closes at 4:30pm the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                            Edward Capriolo
                                - on  -
                  Hadoop - Computation clusters at Scale

 This presentation gives a brief high level overview of Apache Hadoop.
 Hadoop is a Java software framework that supports data-intensive
 distributed applications under a free license. It enables applications
 to work with thousands of nodes and petabytes of data. Hadoop was
 inspired by Google's MapReduce and Google File System (GFS) papers.

 After the overview, we will delve into a with a practical example of
 Hadoop solving a "big data" problem.

 Finally we will discuss how the demonstrated Hadoop processing model
 scales out to terabytes of data and hundreds or even thousands of
 computers.

 More Information:
   * Hadoop homepage
     http://hadoop.apache.org/

   * What is it?
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadoop

 About Edward Capriolo:
   Edward Capriolo does System Operations at About.com. He researches
   high/traffic high-availability and scalable solutions. Edward is a
   committer to the Apache Hadoop Hive sub project.

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
   12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
   the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

 Map:
   http://nylug.org/mapofibm

 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch (New venue!):
   After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
   for drinks and pub food.  This month we'll be over at PJ Clarke's
   (915 3rd Avenue - btwn 55th & 56th), but we are also evaluating
   other options for the future and welcome your suggestions.

   PJ Clarke's: http://www.yelp.com/biz/pj-clarkes-new-york

 Python Workshops/Hacking Society:
   This is a group of people that wants to learn about Python and other
   things, and hack on code.  Sometimes they go out to eat afterward.

   The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
   Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
   Next meetings are February 02, and February 16.
   See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/pythoncalendar

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.