Re: [News] SFLC Responds to Copyright Misconceptions, Presents MoglenT

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: [News] SFLC Responds to Copyright Misconceptions, Presents MoglenTalk
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:28:37 -0500

On 2/10/2010 3:19 PM, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
The SFLC has sued Verizon

True.

> (the case was then quickly dismissed with prejudice against plaintiffs

The case was quickly dismissed by the plaintiffs, not
against the plaintiffs, because the sides settled. It
is common to dismiss a case with prejudice once a
settlement is reached, so that the defendants can be
confident that the plaintiffs will not attempt to
re-litigate the issue.

> and without any settlement filed to be "rolled into a court order"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_(litigation)>)

As usual, your links demonstrate that you are wrong:
    In other situations (as where the claims have been satisfied by
    the payment of a certain sum of money) the plaintiff and defendant
    can simply file a notice that the case has been dismissed.

and you've been bragging about all plaintiffs being scared
> out of the water

In each case filed by the SFLC, the defendants have settled and
have come into compliance with the GPL. I don't impute this to
fear. It is more likely the case that the defendants have been
careless with respect to the GPL, thinking of GPLed code as being
public domain rather than having a license which must be honored.
The lawsuit brings this to their attention forcefully, and then
they comply. Indeed they have no reason not to, since compliance
with the GPL is simple.

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp

Where is the complete corresponding source code regarding the complete
binary code above?

Please share with us the location of the complete corresponding source
code (re: complete binary code at
http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp)

The online distribution of GPLed firmware by Verizon is
accompanied by source found at
<http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/Troubleshooting/QuestionsOne/124346.htm>.
Verizon also makes source available through the offer of
a physical copy for no more than distribution costs ($10)
listed on the same page.

The manufacturers of the hardware also make source
available at <http://opensource.actiontec.com/>, and
offer physical copies for $10 as well.