Re: Recommendation for a CL data structures library

From: refun
Subject: Re: Recommendation for a CL data structures library
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:09:57 -0000

In article <871vfbzrb8.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org>, jhasler@newsguy.com says...

> The Berkeley license as well as _some_ other Open Source licenses permit
> them to keep some of their changes secret.  This is the very reason some
> programmers use the GPL.

While I respect Pascal's decision to use whatever license he wants to use, it
might be worth noticing that a good majority of Common Lisp libraries(besides
Pascal's and a handful of others) are licensed under BSD, LLGPL, MIT or public
domain.

GPL seems to be an unpopular choice for Common Lisp code, especially libraries.
This means that in practice, people will pick a license which grants them more
effective rights, and doesn't force them to release the code to their entire
application just because they used a handful of functions from another library
which is licensed under GPL. In most of the cases, even if other people don't
have the intention of going commercial, they like to have the option, which is
why GPLed libraries are usually unpopular with Common Lisp developers.