Re: The GPL and Patents: ROFL

From: RJack
Subject: Re: The GPL and Patents: ROFL
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:00:15 -0000

On 8/20/2010 7:55 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
RJack<user@example.net>  writes:

On 8/20/2010 2:22 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
RJack<user@example.net>   writes:

On 8/19/2010 5:18 PM, Hyman Rosen wrote:

The GPL is a copyright license, granting additional rights

Are those additional rights that the GPL grants "In Personam"
(contract rights) or "In Rem" (property rights)? I thought
Article I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the United States
Constitution gave Congress the power to grant new copyrights.

What use would a right be if you could not use it as leverage?
You can't do that if you have nothing to offer.

How is your assertion relevant to my question?

If only congress is allowed to grant any right, there is no such
thing as a license (which is a grant of rights from someone who has
them).

So... Is that right "In Personam" or "In Rem"? What good is a right
if you don't know what kind of right it is?

Sincerely,
RJack :)