Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:03:28 -0000

Zoolook <mr.zoolook@gmail.com> writes:

> On 08/10/2010 20:22, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> In gnu.misc.discuss Zoolook<mr.zoolook@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Isn't the right way to support the artists to BUY it...
>>
>> It's one right way, but not the only one.  Artists who perform on radio
>> or television don't get paid individually by each person
>> listening/watching.
>
> My mistake, I should have said PAY FOR it, rather then BUY it... Over
> here, we have a thing called the TV license, effectively, a tax on
> watching television.  Each individual pays a subscription THAT
> THEORETICALLY the broadcasting companies use the income from to
> produce (or license from other production companies) the broadcasts
> they put out.  So anyone listening or watching a performer HAS paid
> them!

Not likely enough.  Because he is paying for a lot of things he
_doesn't_ hear.

> Just not directly.

So you _are_ comfortable with a system that does not use a direct
relation between listener and payment, but a central agency catering for
the distribution.

> Where I live, the electricity used in copying/downloading/streaming
> costs money, as does the medium I finally store it onto... that's
> decidedly LESS free then the virtually never ending supply of
> wood/cotton used to make furniture.

Where I live, you can't just go cut the trees you fancy.

--
David Kastrup