Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization

From: Colby Russell
Subject: Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 05:17:38 -0500

On 10/23/19 10:19 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> He was referring to open source software, not Free Software.

Yes.  That's obvious.  I'm not sure why you think that's relevant here,
unless you think that I'm mistaken about something here.  (I'm not.)  Or
you're mistaken about what I actually wrote in my last comment.

There's a subtle distinction between "open source" and "free software".
I'm aware of that.  In fact, _I_ *just* linked to an essay on that topic
with the title "Why Open Source Misses the Point of Free Software"...

> The Four Freedoms on the GNU Philosophy page are followed by this
> sentence: ¶ "A program is free software if it gives users adequately all
> of these freedoms." ¶ Thus, by definition, the Four Freedoms are
> sufficient.

That's exactly the problem.  It's contradicted by the statement in "Why
Open Source Misses the Point of Free Software", which states: "This
software might be open source [...] but it won't be free software".

--
Colby Russell