Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Andreas
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 12:18:53 +0100

On Sat, 2019-11-16 at 02:34 -0500, Dora Scilipoti wrote:
> On 11/14/2019 04:32 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>

> > It has been discussed with him and he has been told that these kind
> > of
> > discussions and decisions need to be made in public.
>
> And you have been told very clearly that he does not agree.

Does he not agree with decisions being made in public or discussions
being public, or both?

> You have also been told, publicly,  what he intends to do.
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2019-10/msg00005.html
>
> Please do not insist.

The current situation, as I understand it, is that there is a group of
about 30 people, many of them active GNU maintainers, that are not
happy with GNU.

Any of them stepping back as a maintainer would be a loss for GNU, but
fortunately so far none of them have felt the need to do so.

There appears to be a set of demands that should ostensibly address the
situations that cause the unhappiness of this group.

I'd much rather have these designs be drawn up with public input than
hastily put together over private channels and only then presented
wholesale with only the options of accepting or rejecting it in whole,
which might make some maintainers feel they have to reconsider their
involvement with the project depending on the outcome.

So far, nothing irreversible has happened, and I think that's a good
result, even if at times the discussion has taken a course that has not
been comfortable for everyone involved.

-Andreas