Re: The General Public Licence (GPL) as the basic governance tool

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: The General Public Licence (GPL) as the basic governance tool
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 10:47:55 +0100

Hi Alfred,

ams@gnu.org (Alfred M. Szmidt) skribis:

>    As a GNU user, you may not know it but GNU maintainers do not currently
>    agree to uphold the free software values that we care about; they merely
>    agree to more specific GNU policies.
>
> It is intentional, since the GNU project doesn't want to exclude
> anyone from becoming a GNU maintainer.  So not only currently, but
> also not in the future.

You’ve made your point many times, but please, stop presenting the
current situation as something that cannot possibly ever change and,
consequently, should never be questioned.

I think it’s important for GNU hackers as a group to be able to reflect
on the project’s procedures and discuss whether/how to improve them.

Thanks,
Ludo’.