Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: DJ Delorie
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 13:10:49 -0500

ams@gnu.org (Alfred M. Szmidt) writes:
> That speaks more to the fact that the GNU project leadership has no
> impact on project adaptation, or contributor activity.  But rather it
> is a individual effort by each project maintainer.

One could argue that this indicates that what you term "GNU leadership"
is not providing leadership to the projects, and that the maintainers
must provide that leadership themselves.  What is the point of
leadership that has no impact?

Perhaps this view does not align with your view, but we must also
consider how the general public (or at least the general
free-software-involved public) views us from the outside.  If they are
more likely to be influenced by the maintainers than by RMS, from
*their* point of view, the maintainers *are* the GNU leadership.  We
should not be blind to how we are perceived by others.

And don't fall into the trap of thinking leadership can only come from
one person.  RMS may be "the leader" but he's not the only one providing
leadership to others.