Re: Google XMPP service

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: Google XMPP service
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 16:55:34 -0500

Jean Louis wrote:
* Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281@gmail.com> [2021-04-03 22:16]:
On a side note:  talk.google.com still speaks Jabber/XMPP on port 5223.  I
use it to talk with friends that carry Android devices.  The Android
messenger app and Hangouts still use Jabber on the backend.

How does the username looks like? Is it USER@google.com ? Or something else?

My Jabber username on that server is my "Gmail" address.  "USER@gmail.com"

Do you think that each user has asigned XMPP username automatically?

As I understand, if you have a Google account, you probably have a Jabber username; if you have a Gmail account, you almost certainly have a Jabber username: the JS webmail frontend (that I do not use) includes an IM client tied to Hangouts. The Google Talk *program* was discontinued, but the underlying Jabber service seems to still be up and is now used for other services.

I doubt it will ever go away, since (as I understand) the Google Talk *service* is also the means by which Google Play can remotely install apps on Android devices. (The stated purpose of that "feature" is to allow users to click "Install" at Google's app store on any computer and have the app appear on their device. The potential for abuse is obvious, however.)

-- Jacob