Re: Judge declares zoom of iPhone image unacceptable in court

From: Akira Urushibata
Subject: Re: Judge declares zoom of iPhone image unacceptable in court
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 09:06:33 +0900 (added by address@hidden)

First please let me make one correction: The title contains an error.
The prosecutor tried to play a video on an iPad, not an iPhone in
court.

I understand that this is a highly politicized incident.

Whichever side you are on, I would like you to pay attention to the
technical issues concerning the admissibility of digital images
as legal evidence, as well as technical advances in this field.
Video images are routinely submitted in vehicle accident cases,
domestic violence cases, workplace injury cases and more.  It is
quite impossible to imagine a court which does not admit them.

Also please consider the fact that some subscribers of this mailing
list reside outside the United States.  Newspapers and TV news
programs of Japan, where I live in, reported the Black Lives Matter
protests.  But they are not following the criminal trial currently in
progress.  I am aware of this issue because I pay far more attention
to international news than my fellow countrymen.  As such I believe
that there are list subscribers from outside North America who would
not have noticed the technical issues debated in the trial through
the news channels they ordinary follow.

I'll write a reply to the comments by Mr. Kaz Kylheku within a few days.