Text limitations

From: Jeff Henrikson
Subject: Text limitations
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 16:01:47 -0500

Mats,

Just looking at your Gade parts, on the timpani on the first line there is a
cued oboe passage having the text "Oboe 8va" colliding
with the tempo marking.  This is probably the most basic example of what I am
talking about.

The problem, at least compared to music that I have seen, this piece is maybe a
2 on a scale of 1 to 10 for text depenence.  When I
have some time I'll make some scans of some text dependent music that should be
possible but aren't (at least to my limited
knowledge)

> Exactly what problem are you trying to solve using the invisible
> staffs? Is it the different padding or the different font styles?

Neither.  The most urgent issue which it solves is isolating the textual
clutter in the .ly file in my text editor.  Second is part
extraction without having redundant markings on the score.

To be continued when I have time to get examples and be more precise . . .

Jeff

PS-

> (Sorry to sound critical, I'm just trying to to find out more
> exactly what you request.)

Oh, no apologies necessary as I usually feel like the critical one on this
list.  My own apologies for the usually frustrated tone
of my messages.