Re: LilyPond 1.3.119 W32 install up for download

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: LilyPond 1.3.119 W32 install up for download
Date: 29 Dec 2000 11:18:10 +0100

Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Just wanted to say that the Windows installation works excellently

[I think that's my cue line]
Ok, time for a change :-)

I've upgraded my cross environment to cygwin-1.1.7-1.  Because lots of
things changed, and lots of the changes were fixes, I decided to throw
in a couple of changes myself too.  So, here are the differences with
1.1.4 (that I know of):

  * Built with new untested tools, gcc-2.95.2-6, etc.

  * Used cygwin's regex library.  Cygwin is now distributing a regex
    library, which is good news because chances are better it won't
    break.  The bad news is that we had lots of troubles before with
    guile+regex, so things may be broken.

  * The native binary tarballs (*-i686-cygwin.bin.tar.gz) are now
    compiled and packaged with normal root and prefix (/ and /usr),
    which is the way Cygnus does it now, and it's the Right Thing.
    This means that we don't have to do the /Cygwin trickery anymore
    (PATH, *PREFIX, symlinks), but you should take note to unpack them
    in the cygwin root, it's no longer possible to unpack them from
    C:/>

Ok, so this new stuff is experimental, it could quite possibly just
not work at all.  So why not have a look at:

    http://appel.lilypond.org/lilypond/gnu-windows/cygwin-1.1.7/bin/tar

James, would you like to post a description or some pointers about the
installer stuff you've made?  Now that is seems handy for windows
people, it's a good thing if someone else could pick it up, ifever the
need arises.

Greetings,