beaming with rests

From: Peter Dobratz
Subject: beaming with rests
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 05:27:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I have searched through the documentation and mailing lists and have not been
able to find a solution to my particular beaming problem.  I have something
like the following:

[ d8 r16 e16 ]

Without the brackets, this produces no beams (which is expected), but with the
brackets, the double beam extends over the rest.  I want this double beam to
stop before the rest.  The beaming documentation suggests
Voice.stemLeftBeamCount or Voice.stemRightBeamCount, but changing these
properties in this case only determines whether or not the double beam exists
or not.  Looking at the Beam grob properties it seems like I want to override
the flag-width-function, but I don't know enough about lilypond internals to
know the proper syntax for such a function.

I am using Lilypond 1.4.2 for Debian potato.

--Peter