Re: PDF (old hat) and lyrics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: PDF (old hat) and lyrics
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 02:37:52 +0200

> Mats wrote:
> > They are already available in your TeX installation, try
> > dvips -Ppdf (at least if you are using teTeX, see the
> > documentation 'texdoc TETEXDOC'). If you don't use the
> > Type1 feta fonts, you'll get some warning since dvips will
> > try to make high resolution versions of all remaining
> > bitmapped fonts, but it still works well.
> >
> >    /Mats
>
> dvips is making the same poor output for the words, the music looks fine.
> dvips
> is trying to make 8000 dpi bitmap fonts but fails in conjunction with Deskjet
> mode. I can't find any pfb files for European Computer Modern on my system;
> however, such were generated by the author of the TeXtrace program, but only
> made available for download on a one-by-one basis, not as a single tarball,
> which, up to now, kept me from taking the plunge. I'll probably have to do it,
> then, or trace them all by myself (tiring, troublesome, tedious)... Oh well.
> Anybody has a better idea?
>
> I'll drop a line to the TeXtrace author if he could make a comfortable
> tarball.
> Let's see what happens.

As long as you use the default font encoding (OT1), the
BlueSky Type1 fonts supplied with teTeX and MiKTeX work
well (OK, letters like รถ are typeset using two font symbols
instead of a single dedicated one, but that's only a
problem if you want to cut and paste from the PDF).
This means that ordinary ly2dvi output + dvips -Ppdf
gives nice Type1 fonts. If you use lilypond-book or
use some other wrapper LaTeX files, I'd simply remove
the \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}. As long as you keep
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} it should work well.

At work, we've actually bought European Computer Modern
Type1 fonts from Micropress, but it seems that there's
a free version coming from the TeXTrace author really
soon now.

   /Mats